25 Best Half Marathons in the United States You Should Know
The half marathon is becoming increasingly popular, as it offers a challenging yet achievable way to test running prowess, while also providing enough time to recover afterward. With so many great half marathons located throughout the United States, runners of all levels can find one that accommodates their style and challenge level. Here are the twenty-five best half marathons in the country.
The 25 Best Half Marathons
1. Missoula Marathon — If you’re looking for a half marathon with breathtaking views and a race that draws a well-experienced crowd, the Missoula Marathon is for you. Located in Montana, this course takes you through valleys and mountains with plenty of scenic spots.
2. The North Face Endurance Challenge — The North Face Half Marathon takes you on a scenic route that takes you past Lake Tahoe, the majestic Sierra Mountains, and through seven miles of remote single-track trails.
3. Lime Rock Adventure Marathon — This is the perfect race for runners who like to add more adventure to their running experience. The Lime Rock Adventure Marathon is a 27-mile journey through rugged terrain and breathtaking views of the California countryside.
4. The Brooklyn Half Marathon — This race not only offers challenging running but also a scenic course. You’ll take in the sights of the iconic Manhattan skyline and its iconic bridges as you run along the shore of the East River.
5. Big Sur International Marathon — The Big Sur International Marathon is one of the most scenic half marathons in the country, with views of the Pacific Ocean, the cliffs of Big Sur, and the rolling redwood-covered hills of central California.
6. Discovery Trail Half Marathon — This is a challenging but rewarding course located in the Sierra Nevada of California. It offers an 11-mile loop that takes you through forests, granite peaks, wildflowers, and rushing rivers.
7. Chicago Half Marathon — The Chicago Half Marathon takes you through some of the most iconic locations in the city. The course is flat and fast, and you’ll get to experience the galleries, parks, and skyscrapers of the Windy City.
8. American Odyssey Relay — The American Odyssey Relay is a unique event that takes teams of runners on a 192-mile race from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to the nation’s capital in Washington, D.C. There are six portions to the course, with teams completing each portion in one day.
9. The Color Run — The Color Run is an event that has become hugely popular with race-goers and spectators alike. The course is a 5K and the finish line is a blast of bright colors.
10. Los Angeles Marathon — The L.A. Marathon is one of the country’s oldest and most respected half marathons. The course is a loop through the scenic, vibrant city of Los Angeles.
11. Big Sur Trail Marathon — This race takes you through the rugged beauty of California’s Monterey Peninsula. High in the Santa Lucia Mountains, the course follows a wild, 23-mile loop over lush green meadows and canyons, redwood forests, and winding wetlands.
12. Marine Corps Marathon — This race starts and ends in the nation’s capital of Washington, DC and follows a course that winds through some of the most recognized and beautiful monuments and memorials in the country, including the Lincoln Memorial and the Iwo Jima Memorial.
13. Coeur d’Alene Marathon — This is an iconic event that takes runners around the north Idaho area, with the final 10 miles winding around the majestic Lake Coeur d’Alene, plus over 1,000 feet of elevation gain.
14. Sun Valley Nordic Marathon — This is an event for the novice and experienced trail runners alike, taking place in the scenic valley of Sun Valley, Idaho. There are four challenging races to choose from, including the half marathon.
15. St. George Marathon — Located in Utah, the St. George Marathon takes runners through the beautiful red rock formations of this area, notably through the Snow Canyon State Park.
16. The Runner’s World Half Marathon — This half marathon is held in the heart of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The course is fast and flat, and follows some of the city’s most popular trails.
17. The Georgia Half Marathon — One of the most popular half marathons in the South, the Georgia Half Marathon starts and ends in bustling Atlanta, offering a scenic and fast course that passes through some of the city’s most well known landmarks.
18. Miami Beach Half Marathon — This is a great race for beginning runners to test themselves and get in some beachfront running. It is a scenic run down the beach in Miami, FL, offering a flat and fast course.
19. The Dam Marathon — Located in the Grand Canyon, The Dam Marathon is one of the most unique courses in the country. The course takes runners along the Arizona Trail, up and down rocky slopes, and provides breathtaking views of the canyon.
20. The Portland Marathon — The Portland Marathon takes you through some of the most beautiful scenery this city has to offer, from the Japanese gardens and conservation areas to the spectacular views of the Columbia River Gorge.
21. The Denver Half Marathon — This race is for those who want a fast and challenging half marathon. The course is fast and the scenery is beautiful, with views of the Rocky Mountains and downtown Denver.
22. Honolulu Marathon — This event gives runners a unique chance to experience running on Hawaii’s beautiful island of O’ahu. The course is fast and flat, offering breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and famous Waikiki Beach.
23. Nashville Marathon — This half marathon takes runners through some of Nashville’s signature attractions and neighborhoods, from Vanderbilt University to Music Row. Enjoy a unique music-filled course along the banks of the Cumberland River.
24. The Vermont Half Marathon — This race takes runners through some of the most iconic sites of Vermont, including the scenic beauty of Lake Champlain, the pastoral views of the rolling hills, and the charming village of Burlington.
25. The Austin Marathon — Held in the heart of Texas, this is a race for those who want to experience the vibrant city of Austin and its surrounding areas. The course is flat and fast, and the city offers plenty of entertainment options throughout the race.
The United States offers some of the world’s most beautiful and scenic half marathons, which are sure to provide runners with an unforgettable experience. With so many excellent events to choose from, there’s sure to be a perfect fit for everyone.