Why Do Running Shorts Cause Chafing
We’ve all experienced it: that uncomfortable, painful sensation caused by rubbing skin on skin or clothing on skin. Chafing from running shorts can be particularly annoying and unpleasant. It’s caused by friction and can occur in both sexes. The rise in temperature and moisture that accompanies exercise can also contribute to chafing.
To minimise chafing, it is important to select running shorts made from a soft and breathable material that fits correctly. Those that are too tight or too loose can cause the fabric to rub against your skin, creating friction. Synthetic materials such as polyester, spandex, and nylon are often better choices than 100% cotton. When in doubt, look for shorts that have flat seams to reduce potential friction.
Sometimes, chafing can be caused by a poor laundry routine. To prevent this, use a laundry detergent designed specifically for technical fabrics like those found in running shorts. You may also want to consider using a fabric softener or antiperspirant when washing your workout clothes. This can help to protect the material from getting excessively sweaty and further reducing friction.
In order to avoid further discomfort, some runners may want to consider wearing a base layer or moisture-wicking underwear underneath their shorts. This is especially important for longer distance runs. Not only does it reduce the chances of the pants and shorts rubbing against the skin, but it can add an extra layer of protection and comfort.
Finally, it is important to look after any areas of chafing that do occur. Moisturising the area can help to reduce the chance of friction developing, while also protecting your skin from further damage. To prevent an infection and promote healing, an anti-bacterial ointment can also be applied.
Chafing from running shorts is an uncomfortable and often painful experience. With the right fit and fabric choices, however, it can be prevented. Additionally, the use of a base layer and proper laundry techniques can further protect your skin and reduce the chances of chafing developing.
What Running Shorts Are Best For Preventing Chafing
To ensure that your running sessions are as comfortable as possible, you’ll need to find running shorts specifically designed to minimize chafing.
When choosing the best running shorts for chafing prevention, look for shorts made of lightweight and breathable fabrics such as spandex and Lycra. These fabrics will offer a snug fit that allows your skin to move freely and wick away moisture. Also, look for running shorts with flat seams and minimal or no hems or elastic bands, which can contribute to chafing when running.
In addition to finding the right material, consider adding a chafe-prevention spray before you run. These sprays provide a layer of protection over the skin that can reduce friction to minimize any potential chafing. If possible, avoid shorts with pockets or other details that add extra fabric, as this too can lead to chafing.
Overall, the best running shorts for preventing chafing are those made with lightweight and breathable fabrics that fit snugly but don’t constrict the skin. Padding, either in the shorts or added as a spray, can also provide extra protection and comfort during your run. With the right gear and proper preparation, you can enjoy your run without any worries of chafing.
Best Brands That Make Running Shorts
When it comes to running shorts, there are so many great brands to choose from. Each brand offers something unique and can be tailored to each individual’s running needs. Whether you’re looking for a lightweight, breathable fabric, a comfortable liner, or a variety of styles and colors, there’s sure to be a perfect fit for everyone. To help make your search for the perfect pair of running shorts easier, we’ve compiled a list of some of the top brands that make running shorts.
1. Nike – Nike is one of the most recognizable brands of athletic gear and apparel. From their signature Dri-FIT fabric to their Flyknit technology, Nike has continuously pushed the boundaries of running apparel and delivered the highest quality in running shorts. They offer a variety of styles and cuts, giving you plenty of options to choose from.
2. Adidas – While Nike might be the most recognizable brand of running gear, Adidas is a close second. Adidas has designed some of the most technologically advanced running shorts on the market. Their lightweight fabric helps propel runners forward and their Climalite and Climaheat technologies help keep runners cool and dry.
3. Lululemon – If you’re looking for a more stylish option, Lululemon may be the perfect brand for you. With unique and fashionable cuts and designs, Lululemon’s running shorts are sure to stand out in the running crowd. Plus, their breathable fabric and wide pockets make them perfect for any type of run.
4. Under Armour – Under Armour is known for its athletic performance and their running shorts are no exception. Their lightest fabric and moisture-wicking fabric provide the ultimate comfort and performance, while the inner liner keeps things supportive and comfortable.
5. Brooks – Brooks is another brand that has made quite a name for itself in the running industry. From their ultra-lightweight fabric to their unique moisture-management capabilities, Brooks is your go-to brand for running shorts.
6. Patagonia – Patagonia is a brand that takes environmental responsibility very seriously. Their running shorts are made from recycled materials and feature a durable fabric that wicks away moisture and keeps runners cool and dry.
7. Asics – Asics offers a wide variety of running shorts for both men and women. Their shorts feature a lightweight fabric, a soft waistband and come in a variety of colors and styles.
Whether you’re an occasional jogger or an avid runner, this list of brands has something for everyone. With such a wide variety of styles and cuts, you’re sure to find a pair of running shorts that meet your individual needs.